skip navigation 1-800-4-ALFRED (425-3733)

Veterans Information

Veterans Information

If you are eligible for a GI Bill® benefit,  you should provide the Veteran Certifying Official in the Student Records and Financial Services Office with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Discharge Form from Active Duty (DD214). An enrollment certification will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs after you provide either of these documents and register for classes.  If you have not applied for your GI Bill® benefit you should apply on the website. If you do not have web access, you can contact the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs at 888-442-4551 for an application. You can also complete this step at a VA regional office. Alfred State College is a participating member of the Yellow Ribbon Program.

National Guard students may be eligible for both state and federal benefits.  Contact the Alfred State College Veteran Certifying Official for more information. 

The following procedures to monitor attendance have been approved by the State Education Department Bureau of Veterans’ Education:

Veterans are required to attend classes in order to receive educational benefits.

Veterans receiving benefits must complete the VA School Certification form each semester they wish to be certified for benefits. Furthermore, veterans must contact the certifying official in the Student Records and Financial Services Office to ensure paperwork is properly completed whenever they add or drop a course, change their major, withdraw from the college, and/or are enrolled in courses that have nonpunitive grades ("S" or "U").

Alfred State permits any student receiving Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits and participate in coursework during the period for which a Certificate of Eligibility, Statement of Benefits, or VAF 28-1905 is received. 

Alfred State will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirements that a covered individual borrow additional funds because of the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed distribution of funding from VA under Chapter 33 or 31.