Debra Burch, Chair
Phone : 607-587-3119
Administrative Assistant Phone : 607-587-3170
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The culinary industry offers a wide range of career opportunities; the list is endless,
from health care to management positions in large companies. The department includes
two programs: culinary arts - focusing on food production and management and baking,
production and management - focusing on retail baking production. The department also
offers a three-year dual degree program, along with an opportunity to obtain a baccalaureate
degree in technology management in the following two years.
The Culinary Arts Department is focused on developing skills needed for competent
culinary professionals for an evolving industry.
It is essential that students in this degree program can participate fully and safely,
with or without reasonable accommodation, in all classroom and laboratory settings
required for completion of the program. Students in this degree program should be
- Function in a safe manner, not placing themselves, faculty, staff, or other students
- Appropriately and safely use standard laboratory equipment, materials, and instrumentation
to include possession of fine motor skills and mobility.
- Make sensory visual and auditory observations during, and interpret data from, all
required laboratory assignments.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Capability to lift 50 pounds of kitchen product or equipment to industry standard
- Ability to professionally manage and cope with work in a high paced and crowded lab
environment for several hours a day.
A list of required tools, equipment, PPE, etc. for all of the programs mentioned above
can be found at www.alfredstate.edu/tool-lists.
- Production lab – This lab gives students the opportunity to learn quantity food production and service
through the preparation and service of 700 institutional meals for customers daily.
- The Refinery Restaurant lab – A well-equipped dining room and kitchen, this lab has virtually all the equipment
used in commercial restaurants. Students prepare and serve meals to order for patrons
- Bakery lab – This is reputed to be the best-equipped training facility of its kind in the state.
The student has access to many types of baking equipment used commercially to produce
baked goods for the Wellsville campus student dining hall (The Rig) and The Refinery
Restaurant. Students produce baked goods in freshman and senior labs, which are sold
and served to many. In addition, the preparation and presentation of elaborate creations,
common in upscale restaurants, offers students the opportunity to develop their talents.
Culinary Arts (AOS)
Culinary Arts: Baking, Production & Management (AOS)
CULINARY ARTS DEPARTMENT TOUR